20 mph

Home Forums Bulletin board 20 mph

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Grainger 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

William Shaw
    Keymaster

Several of us have just had this email from the council confirming that Dyke Road Drive is included in phase 2 of the 20mph plan, which is to be finalised in March 2014.

As you can see it says anyone can write in support of the proposals by 14 February. Probably a good idea if we do.

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for responding to the consultation which took place August – October 2013 on the second phase of the city 20mph programme. When you responded you indicated that you wished to receive further information as the programme progressed.

Following a special meeting of the Environment, Transport and Sustainability (ETS) Committee of the Council in December 2013 (the papers from which can be viewed here) revised proposals for the Phase 2 area are now being advertised for consultation. This is the formal, legal, consultation that must be undertaken before any changes can be made to speed limits and provides another opportunity for you to have a say in shaping this second phase of the programme.

The orders will be advertised until 14th February and can be found on the Council website at: http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/tro-proposals (reference TRO-3 (a-k)-2014). Anyone can respond to the orders either in support or to object and it is possible in a given response to support some aspects but oppose others. All submissions must quote the specific order number(s) they relate to and be made in writing by 14thFebruary 2014 either to parking.consultation@brighton-hove.gov.uk or in hard copy to:

Executive Director Environment, Development & Housing,
    Brighton & Hove City Council,
    Parking Infrastructure,
    Hove Town Hall (room 323)
    Norton Road,
    HOVE BN3 3BQ

A copy of the proposed Orders, plans showing the lengths of road affected and a statement of the Council’s reasons for proposing to make the Orders, may be seen online at http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/tro-proposals These documents together with a copy of the existing Order to be amended may also be examined at the Customer Service Centres at Bartholomew House, Bartholomew Square, Brighton (Monday to Friday 8.45am-4.30pm) and Hove Town Hall, Ground Floor, Norton Road, Hove, (Monday to Friday 8.45am-5.00pm).

As a result of the public consultation results some amends have been made to the proposals in some areas and amendments made by councillors of the ETS Committee have resulted in some additional roads being excluded from the scheme.

[…]

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/20mph

Elizabeth
    Participant

Thank for this. I couldn’t find DRD explicitly mentioned on the page you linked, but you can see it on the map for Dyke Road East

And it’s listed in 20mph Phasing although I can’t remember how I got there!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  Elizabeth. Reason: improved the link by adding a title

Bruce Lindfield
    Participant

The Police have come out publically and said though, that they cannot enforce a 20 mph speed limit and so these new restrictions will not make any difference in practice.

William Shaw
    Keymaster

The council’s traffic speed stats show they appear to have slowed down general traffic speeds fairly significantly in Brighton on 20mph streets – even though a high proportion of drivers ignore them.

Allan Grainger

Perhaps one idea to discourage the use of DRD as a rat run would be to propose to the Council that they put a chicane halfway down the road with about three speed bumps on either side. Over time the delay caused by this structure would reduce the volume of traffic and put off those drivers who think DRD is a straight section of Brands Hatch.

Bruce Lindfield
    Participant

And if an ambulance is trying to get through to somebody having a heart attack?

I don’t believe the 20 mph limit has made any difference whatsoever – the idiots still speed and the rest just go at a sensible pace, like they did before. I drive every day and have noticed absolutely zero difference in drivers’ behaviour. What I have noticed is more and more cyclists getting in the way and doing stupid things – cutting across traffic, going the wrong way up the road, cycling into pedestrians – anything except use the lanes provided!

William Shaw
    Keymaster

From what I understand, emergency services actually perfer pinch points to other types of physical speed restrictions such as speed cushions. But our road has quite a weird traffic flow in that for large parts of the day it’s about single speeding vehicle, then there are heavy flows at both rush hours. I think there’s some evidence that pinch points actually speed up cars when traffic is lighter as people dash to get to them before another vehicle appears. These days I think there’s a lot of research into what works best in different streets. I think it’s an idea to have a longer look around if we’re going to propose something on behalf of the street.

William Shaw
    Keymaster

I suspect the 20mph limit isn’t going to have a dramatic effect in our street because of the nature of the road. It’s an invitation to accelerate, unfortunately. However ROSPA reports on 20mph zones elsewhere are pretty remarkable; they show a really significant drop in serious accidents.

The council did claim that speeds had slowed on 74% of streets during the first year – whatever that means. I can believe it though. I think elsewhere there has been a proven reduction in average speeds despite the perception that people ignore the limits.

For me the safety issue, which is well proven is more than enough.

Allan Grainger

The idea of introducing pinch points would be to deter the volume of traffic that uses the street. The street is a rat run and the pinch points could be our Pied Piper.
    I agree William, after the car has gone through the pitch point it would probably speed up, but there would also be a backing up of traffic that would cause speeding cars to slow down. If the pitch point was positioned half way along the residential area of the road then it would slow the traffic down and make them aware that this is a residential area. Other streets in Brighton have this form of traffic calming measure that seems to be acceptable to the emergency services as you rightly point out.

I don’t understand why the council did not put the 20 mph mark at the top of the street as you enter from Stanford Road cross roads. The first 20 mph limit mark is just before the residential area, by then the fast driver has reached a high speed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar