Agenda for meeting on 23rd

Home Forums Bulletin board Agenda for meeting on 23rd

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce Lindfield 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

William Shaw
    Keymaster

On a practical level, we’ll need to agree some articles of association in order to become a properly constituted association. But beyond that, is there anything anyone needs to raise?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  William Shaw.

Jane McMorrow
    Participant

I would like to discuss the issue of speed of traffic on Dyke Road Drive and how we can ensure that something is done to make the road safer for all pedestrians. Thanks

Bruce Lindfield
    Participant

I think the pressing issue is the amount of roadworks we are getting – the last 3 months of 2013 we had constant roadworks, with parking spaces suspended – now in January 14 they are digging up the road again with temporary traffic lights.

I have made an official complaint to the council, but got nowhere – could a residents association achieve more? We also have the railway works, with threatening letters about what they are planning – it feels like we are living in a permanent building site.

Bruce Lindfield
    Participant

In response to Jane’s post – the problems with traffic are due to the change to the traffic lights at Preston Circus. I can remember living here when traffic going out of Brighton that wanted to go west, would simply turn left at Preston Circus and go up New England Hill – we got hardly any traffic at that time.

Then they changed the lights so that no traffic could tun left at Preston Circus – now the next choice for westbound traffic is to turn up Dyke Road Drive towards Hove and since that change, the traffic had increased hugely.

If they changed it back and routed westbound traffic up New England hill, it would dramatically reduce traffic for us.

Anonymous

Thanks for organising a good first meeting. With regard to the speed of traffic on Dyke Road Drive, a 20mph limit would be a good first step and I think most local people would be in favour. I don’t think it will slow most drivers down though, and really think we need the sort of traffic calming that has been put in place in Highcroft Villas. In an ideal world I would favour this sort of combination of road humps and narrowing of the road to break up the long run that people like to accelerate along… What do others think? PS would it be possible to make a section on the website for people to log the type of collisions/lost wing mirrors that were discussed tonight?

Bruce Lindfield
    Participant

I think the problem with traffic calming measures like those, is that they apply to all traffic – even emergency services; so ambulances and fire engines get slowed down. If the ambulance doesn’t get through in time to save a child or somebody undergoing a heart attack, is that a good thing?

At the moment we have our own traffic calming, with temporary traffic lights. These are very annoying being placed right outside our house – all you hear is people revving their engines constantly. Of course you want safe driving, but I’d rather people went through at a normal speed rather than slowing to low gears and adding to noise and pollution.

Ultimately the best solution is to cut down traffic and for it not to have to come through here – as I was saying before – traffic used to be able to turn left at Preston Circus and go up New England Hill – no need to use our road! I think we should campaign for this to be changed. The other thing that causes large lorries to come down our road is the sign at the junction at the top of Highcroft villas pointing heavy vehicles aiming for the A23, down here to avoid the low bridge.

William Shaw
    Keymaster

In my limited experience it’s very hard these days to persuade councils to put in speed bumps any more. But it might be worth asking for a pinch point higher in the road to slow down the speed of traffic.

Would it be worth a discussion with a traffic officer – especially in relation to the extra traffic turning west up our road.

Bruce Lindfield
    Participant

So – again we have road works and parking suspensions. Just 2 days notice and all our parking bays are suspended opposite our homes! Has anything been done to try to get more notice of this sort of thing? We pay huge council tax and then hundreds of pounds each year on top, just to park in our own road and then it is taken away at the drop of a hat, with virtually no notice or consultation.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar